Sunday, December 25, 2005

EXPANDING HORIZONS: Christmas Dinner/Tofurky Roast


Okay, so based on my earlier post about my cat going kerblitzy over tofurky deli slices, you'd think I'd have already had Tofurky before. But I haven't- not the original roast style big'un. They aren't cheap... so that's been a deterrent, plus they seem like sort of a "special occasion" kind of thing.

So, tonight when my brother (veg) and brother-in-law (veg-ish) came over for dinner, we tried it out. (Plus we had some au gratin potatoes and snap pea pods, yom!)

So here's how the whole Tofurky experience went down.
(and sheesh, is it tofurkey, or tofurky? The website is tofurkey.com but the product says tofurky. They're screwing with my head, not much of a challenge, but still...)


You open up the box, and inside is a "roast" about 7x5 or so (totally guessing here), in an ovoid shape. Serves 4. I guess that's right, if you eat two slices a piece. The tofurky is inside a plastic wrapper, which you remove, before wrapping the roast in foil or putting in a roast pan. You can add veggies or whatever, just like with any kind of roast. I was lazy and just wrapped it in foil and tossed it in the oven.

It stays in for 2 hours at 300 degrees. I gave it one flip while it was in there. Once it came out of the oven, we sliced it, and gave it a taste. We also made some mushroom gravy to have with it, because, well, gravy is good.

I have to say, it was pretty good. (My favorite part may have been the stuffing.) D&B loved it and Bryan insisted after a few bites "All I have to say is we are having this again next year."

I'm okay with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home