Wednesday, February 01, 2006

FOR REAL?: Drinkin' Pee

After the recent post regarding Kopi Luwak coffee, I recalled an interesting fact I learned of late last year. That fact being that some people drink pee. Their pee, other peoples' pee, pee. Urine. Number One. Wee-wee.

You are thinking, "well sure, they were probably floating in the middle of the ocean or something"... but I'm not talking about survival-pee-drinking. I'm talking about "hey, I don't have to drink it, but it sounds like a Grand Idea, so I will!" pee-drinking.

So, why? Well, for tradition, rituals, and for health reasons. It's not common in the U.S. but in some parts of the world it is quite common and culturally acceptable. I've read that over 3 million Japanese citizens drink their own urine. Apparently they've gotten over the Ick Factor.

Here are some enlightening articles regarding Urine Therapy.
http://skepdic.com/urine.html
http://www.rotten.com/library/medicine/bodily-functions/pissing/drinking-pee/

And yes, just like the crap coffee, I'll admit to not being ready to jump on this bandwagon either. Kudos to those who can/will/do (ew) but I'll stick with water, tea, and not pee.


Thanks to rotten.com for the picture, above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home